[Interest] QtCreator configure with custom compiler

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:03:07 CET 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 8:30 PM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> Maybe you should give more information on the problem.

Here's how I've configured it. I didn't do anything special, just
chose GCC as type and added the path to the binary.
https://s23.postimg.org/olw98w3vf/Screenshot_20170206_140101.png

> If your compiler is not called "g++", then you must have a mkspec, but you didn't mention that.

I don't have a separate mkspec, and this must be the reason for the
issue. Thanks, Thiago, for the feedback. I was hoping to use the
default g++ mkspec, as the wrapper is fully compatible with the
installed g++, but perhaps this isn't trivial to do from Creator. What
would be the right way to override the binary without actually
changing anything in the default mkspec? Should I copy the g++ mkspec
and rename it, and then just change how the compiler binary is called?

> Also, please compile on the command-line and confirm it works. After that, let
> us know in what ways compiling inside Qt Creator changes.

I confirm, it works, probably it's bit hacky though. I add this to the
project file:
MPICC = mpicc
MPICXX = mpic++

QMAKE_CC = $$MPICC
QMAKE_CXX = $$MPICXX
QMAKE_LINK = $$MPICXX
QMAKE_LINK_SHLIB = $$MPICXX

to override the compiler binary (only) and everything is working fine.

Perhaps then I should rephrase the question:
Is it possible to use the default g++ mkspec but change how the
compiler is called (from g++ to mpic++) from inside Creator?

Thanks again!
Kind regards.