[Interest] Qt 5.8.0 RC build under windows

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Jan 22 20:57:13 CET 2017

On domingo, 22 de janeiro de 2017 12:58:13 PST Prav wrote:
> Hello, Thiago.
>
> > Please explain why an application should not detect recent versions of
> > Windows and use extra functionality that is there, making it better
> > and/or more integrated with the OS.
>
> I told you my opinion : what you called "extra functionality" does not exist
> for desktop Qt and does not make desktop Qt better. Function helpful for
> WinRT Qt is building in desktop Qt. As the result there is a need in WinRT
> part of SDK. As result compatibility with Win7SDK was lost (it has no WinRT
> part). Finally : compatibility with Win7SDK was lost for nothing. I just
> informed you about that mistake in your understanding. That is ALL I can do
> for that problem.

Ok, I have looked at the source code now.

The feature is called "detect Windows 10 tablet mode" (see commit
d377f14fd5b4fe3ed64392c6b743bac395f9f891) and it is used as part of the
Windows look-and-feel integration to determine how to show maximised windows.

You may not like it and you may not use it, but a lot of new Windows 10
ultrabooks are convertible and the screen can be detached. In my book, that's
a Windows feature.

Conclusion: the feature is legitimate.