[Interest] QueuedConnection, QByteArray, reserve, capacity

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri Jun 2 06:54:26 CEST 2017

Op 01/06/2017 om 23:37 schreef Thiago Macieira:
> On Thursday, 1 June 2017 11:21:14 PDT Yuri Alexandrov wrote:
>> Would be great if such external behavior switch is implemented, something
>> like QByteArray a;
>>
>> a.setAllocationPolicy( .. ), or whatever other proper method name.
> That means every QByteArray would need to store this policy somewhere. That's
> too much overhead for the 99% case, IMHO.

One could make it a policy class like the allocators you can supply in
the std containers, but we're not using that pattern anywhere else in Qt
that I am aware of. That way, the 99% would not pay for it because the
default policy would do and (not) store exactly what is done now. An
exteded policy could allow tweaking this behavior, for instance by never
releasing more than what was explicitly reserved or never automatically
releasing at all.

Downside would be that a QByteArray<DefaultPolicy> would not be the same
type as a QByteArray<TweakablePolicy>, so assignments and other
operations would not just work between them. Might not be worth the
trouble.

André