[Interest] PostgreSQL cross compile for Pi

Viktor Engelmann viktor.engelmann at qt.io
Fri Oct 13 11:38:23 CEST 2017

On 10.10.2017 17:03, Roland Hughes wrote:

> If YOU need a copy of something which clearly will not fit within the
> confines of the bug tracker system YOU take the additional time to
> copy it.
>
> Turning your argument around, what happens when your current bug
> tracking system disappears and is replaced by something else? You
> _still_ lose the history.

The bug tracking system is under our control - it will not just
disappear (from our perspective). We could replace it some day in the
future, but not without transferring the knowledge to a new system. Your
blog post might just disappear (from our perspective) - I have seen
situations like that often enough. Stackoverflow also demands that you
briefly state what you find on a page you link (and for the same reason).

Also, the blog post contains a lot of informations that are irrelevant
to the bugreport (like where you got the instruction, the complaints of
the other readers of that how-to, the complaint about the reliability of
how-tos on the internet in general, etc.)
Filtering out the relevant parts is really not our job.

> A deep bug history is only necessary when bugs are allowed to rot for
> decades. All actual changes must be accompanied by comments with the
> bug fix so the source code keeps its own history.

I try to be more verbose - describe the problem briefly, describe the
different things that I changed and what their relation to the problem
is - but I have seen commits that basically had the description "Fix
QTBUG-XXXXX".

Lastly I would like to point out that improving the bug report would
probably have taken less time than what you have invested on this complaint.

--

Viktor Engelmann
Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH