[Interest] strip: Customise Qt intaller, remove *.qt.io

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 09:28:30 CEST 2017

Hi there,

I would like to customise the Qt installer, not only by adding new
"resources", but i would like to disable some/most "*.qt.io"
resources.

The reason for removing qt.io are multiples:
- From New Zealand, the Qt installer spends 5 to 10 minutes to fetch
"*.qt.io" stuff, and i'm getting tired of it (blame NZ,
unfortunately), and i think it is unacceptable for my potential users
(co-workers).
- I don't need all what qt.io has to offer for download, only a small
sub-part of it
- I would like to base our own internal SDK installer on "the Qt
online installer"
- I want to add my own "download/update" stuff
- nobody i know of uses the Qt installer, yet they develop with Qt
every day, having to deal with complex dependencies and awkward
toolchain install/updates.
- To my opinion, we need an SDK installer/updater and I think that
hacking the Qt installer is an easy win.

Basically I would like the installer to pull QtCreator and Qbs from
qt.io, and all the rest is pulled from a server i can manage, this
download server is tied with the CI output "repository".

Is it currently doable? I haven't spend that much time on the
installer "internals", so this is a bit of a blind question.

PS: I have a Qt license, could this be useful on that topic?

Chris