[Interest] qtLocation and mbtiles

Ola Røer Thorsen ola at silentwings.no
Sat Jul 7 20:31:47 CEST 2018

> I need to create a plugin for qtLocation that would use a local mbtile sql database instead of an online provider or a directory. The mbtiles management part is not an issue, I have already a class responding to tiles queries that I use in another widget-based application.
>
> So far my understanding is that I need to subclass QGeoServiceProviderFactoryV2 and all other relevant classes. Is it the correct approach or is there something more simple? I couldn't find any sample on internet, and I find the documentation very limited.
>
> Any clue welcomed to help getting me started.

If you write a small http mbtiles server then you can use one of the existing plugins that are bundled with Qt. I’ve done this using the mapboxgl-plugin. You can run the “server” from a thread in your application if you want.

This might be the easiest solution for you, sounds like you have most of it already.

For the mapbox-gl plugin, pass it an additional style to use, then serve this style from your server. You must also serve a “tilejson” file. Check out tileserver-gl on github for inspiration (node.js-based).

Cheers,
Ola