[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 82, Issue 5

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Mon Jul 16 12:13:20 CEST 2018

On 07/11/2018 01:41 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 10/07/18 06:08, Alan Ezust wrote:
>> I just installed Qt Creator 4.5.2 from kubuntu apt sources.
>> It installed qmlscene + qt development files at the same time.
>> I can see clearly there is a qmlscene executable right next to qmake in
>> the same directory: /usr/lib/qt5/bin
>>
>> How do I get rid of the "no qmlscene installed" warning?
> I've been using Creator from distro repos for a while in the past, and
> quite often this would result in some weirdness or breakage. I recommend
> installing Creator using the online installer instead.
This happens due to many reasons.

1) Some fool used qml to create the welcome screen thus first
introducing the problem. qml should never be used for anything.
2) The 12 year old boys who crow about being "maintainers" of packages
do little in the way of actual maintenance and testing. They simply
remove anything someone complains about or which doesn't compile.
3) Ubuntu doesn't test shit. They rely on the YABUs (Yet Another uBUntu)
to provide fixes for them
4) Virtual Machines tend to hose QtCreator, or at least historically did.
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-9586

Assuming you don't have a great investment in KUbuntu with installation,
configuration,etc. Your simplest fix would be to move to KDE Neon

https://neon.kde.org

The people who used to be creating KUbuntu but had __severe__ issues
with the lack of testing and general state of life at/with Canonical
jumped ship and created KDE Neon based on a YABU core. Far more testing
is done and they are migrating to their own repos. I say this because
what Canonical has creating KUbuntu now reminds me of "The Replacements"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191397/?ref_=nv_sr_1
And, because I'm typing this on KDE Neon where I have QtCreator 4.6.2-1
installed from the repos without the welcome screen issue. Like I said,
KDE Neon does something which can actually be called testing.

If you are really in love with KUbuntu or married to it because it was
documented via government filings as "the" development environment, you
should know there are tons of "fixes" and "work arounds" out there.

Assuming you are a good Qt developer and not allowing QML within 10,000
miles of your project, you can simply skip loading the Welcome screen. I
do believe the virus known as QML has also wormed its way into the
examples display pages, so you will have the same problems there.

qtcreator -noload Welcome

Please note the capital W on Welcome. Sorry, nobody has been polite
enough to add -list to qtcreator so you could see a list of plugins to
be loaded. They did add -profile, but, you really need to redirect that
output to a text file you can search with Jed or some other editor for
plugins.

Once you've determined this works, you can save yourself trouble by
clicking on Help->About Plugins then scrolling down until you find
Welcome to turn off the loading of it.

Of course, you might want to determine your particular 12 year old boy
didn't just hose the pluginpath once again. From the -help output

-pluginpath <path>            Add a custom search path for plugins

start qtcreator from the command line providing the full path to the
plugin and see if the problem also goes away.  If so

cd /
sudo find -iname qt.conf

cat out the file and look for plugins, here is what mine shows

roland at roland-I5-HP-Compaq-8300-Elite-SFF-PC:/$ cat ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qt.conf

[Paths]

Prefix=/usr

ArchData=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5

Binaries=lib/qt5/bin

Data=share/qt5

Documentation=share/qt5/doc

Examples=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/examples

Headers=include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5

HostBinaries=lib/qt5/bin

HostData=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5

HostLibraries=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

Imports=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/imports

Libraries=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

LibraryExecutables=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/libexec

Plugins=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins

Qml2Imports=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml

Settings=/etc/xdg

Translations=share/qt5/translations

Either your plugin isn't in the correct directory, or the value here is
incorrect. Common 12 year old boy problem. I must confess to not
knowing  the syntax of or even if it is possible to have 2 different
paths on one of these lines. You can set the environment variable
QT_PLUGIN_PATH

Linux != Linux != Linux

Each and every distro decides "they have a better layout" when it comes
to storing stuff. This then makes 90% of the "maintainer's" job bulk
editing scripts to change locations with each update. They miss stuff.
QtCreator tends to be one of the most abused and least tested packages
when it comes to "maintainers."

KDE Neon will make your life a touch easier because they use Qt.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com