[Interest] Qt/Mac : what about a (the) Window menu?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 18:52:03 CET 2018

Here's a small PoC patch to the Cocoa QPA (5.9) which adds a Windows (sic) menu:

https://github.com/RJVB/osx-integration/blob/qt590/src/qcocoa-qpa/patches/33-patch-add-windows-submenu.diff

I don't think it will be trivial to create the standard Window menu that sits just left of the Help menu in the menubar (where is that menu created??). Instead the patch just adds a submenu to the Application menu and makes this the application's window menu, activating it when a NSWindow instance is allocated. The system then takes care of the rest.

Evidently this isn't in accordance with HIG and tradition, but IMHO the location I use isn't otherwise really out of place, just above the application visibility controls. :)

R.