[Interest] Qt for WinRT and openssl

Oliver Wolff Oliver.Wolff at qt.io
Fri Mar 16 11:04:16 CET 2018

Hi,

On 16/03/2018 07:06, Maurice Kalinowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ll let Oliver provide the detailed answer, but the history as such is:
>
>   * WinRT uses a new networking API. When released Winsock was not
>     only deprecated but disallowed to be used
>   * We implemented network features using that new API.
>   * In the meantime there were sufficient complaints/feature requests,
>     that Microsoft created a new OpenSSL fork
>     (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-51871 )
>   * A bit later, Winsock2 has been allowed to be used in WinRT (which
>     is called UWP now) again.
>   * The aim is to rather use this in Qt as well, as it shares then the
>     desktop/classic implementation, which gives bigger coverage.
>
> In the meantime we are using the new, but not widely adopted API. SSL
> is handled via the platform capabilities similar to what we do on mac.
> If you encounter a specific issue, please create a bugreport and we
> will follow up there.
>
> BR,
>
> Maurice

yes Maurice is right. At the moment it is not possible to use openssl on
winrt, as we are not using the winsock2 API it uses as its foundation. I
would like to port over the network implementation over to winsock2
"now" that it is available, but haven't found the time for doing that
yet. Besides the bug report Maurice mentioned, there is also
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-63907 to track that issue.

BR,
Olli