[Interest] About Qt and WebEngine/Chromium

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 11:31:02 CET 2018

On Monday March 19 2018 10:02:22 Kai Koehne wrote:

>Anyhow, keeping a stable API has not been a goal of Chromium so far; The
>idea seems to be  that they want to develop Chrome and therefore Chromium
>freely, without the restrictions of long term API commitment.

That wouldn't surprise me, and that could also mean that what official support they offer for embedding might be retired someday, like happened to Gecko, no? Curious though, maintaining a stable, backwards compatible API/ABI like Qt does must have obvious benefits even in a single project, even long before it becomes as huge as Chromium.

To me this looks like a(nother) point in favour of (potentially) Servo and WebKit which includes several toolkit bindings ...

R.