[Interest] QWE hacking: "backporting" src/3rdparty/chromium?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 16:13:35 CET 2018

On Wednesday November 07 2018 14:48:30 Kai Koehne wrote:

> What we're trying to support though is building a newer qtwebengine.git against older Qt versions (usually last LTS).
>
> For your example with Qt 5.8 I'm not sure, because there were some configuration system changes that probably require some fixes.
>
> But you can build qtwebengine 5.11 branch against Qt 5.9.

Ah, that's also good to know, thanks. Does that also mean QWE 5.11 builds on all platforms where Qt 5.9 builds (I'm thinking of Mac OS versions in particular)?

Won't help me though because the fact I'm running Qt 5.9 on the system in question is already a hack (OS X 10.9.5; for reasons I won't go into here I want to postpone upgrading the OS as long as possible). Getting Qt(Base) 5.9 to build there was relatively easy (and not too much work to figure out). I started trying to backport QWE 5.9 the same way but gave up when it became clear this would take a *lot* more time. That's why I'm using QWE 5.8; it builds against Qt 5.9 with no or minimal adaptation.