[Interest] QWE hacking: "backporting" src/3rdparty/chromium?

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Thu Nov 8 16:32:17 CET 2018

On Mittwoch, 7. November 2018 15:09:40 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Out of curiosity, how feasible would it be to deploy a more up-to-date
> QtWebEngine on a system that's stuck on an older Qt version. I understood
> from a previous exchange that QWE is much more a "thin wrapper" around the
> actual web engine than QtWebKit is, with the intention of making it easier
> to upgrade that component. If so, it might be possible to replace the
> src/3rdparty/chromium directory from, say, 5.8.0 with the one from 5.9.7
> and get things to build with only minimal patching.

You should be able to compile QtWebEngine 5.9.7 against Qt 5.8. We dont test
that, but we do test QWE 5.9 against Qt 5.6, so it has a good chance of
working.

Note however that newer QtWebEngine comes with the same platform limitations
regardless of what Qt they are built against as QWE always have harder
limitation due to limits in what upstream Chromium supports building on

'Allan