[Interest] Updated Debian packages or ppa for Qt 5.9+

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 23:23:02 CET 2018

Hi Konstantin!

El miércoles, 7 de noviembre de 2018 05:12:28 -03 Konstantin Shegunov
escribió:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:59 AM Hamish Moffatt <hamish at risingsoftware.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a repository for updated Qt packages for Debian
> > stable (stretch / 9)?

With my Debian Qt maintainer hat on: I'm afraid there is no official repo for
that. I once tried to provide backports but that would mean that many packages
would need to get rebuilt against the new Qt version, which seems not possible
to do on Debian backports.

Backporting Qt 5.10/11 to stable also requires a new dpkg due to the changes
we did in order to be able to cross compile using plain Debian packages +
multi arch.

With my personal hat on: I would *love* to provide a PPA-like semi-official
repo for this, but Debian currently lacks PPAs/bikesheds in order to do that,
and my build power is limited t a 10 years old machine, so not for now. But
yes, I do get lots of requests for this :-(

> Pin debian testing repos with a low priority in the apt configuration and
> you can get the binaries from there. Current it 5.11.2.

Only if you really know what you are doing. If you use KDE stuff (kwin for
example) you will certainly have to upgrade it, and thus half your system,
because it uses Qt's private methods.

Cheers, Lisandro.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer