[Interest] Updated Debian packages or ppa for Qt 5.9+

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 09:35:15 CET 2018

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:23 AM Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <
perezmeyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Pin debian testing repos with a low priority in the apt configuration and
> > you can get the binaries from there. Current it 5.11.2.
>
> Only if you really know what you are doing. If you use KDE stuff (kwin for
> example) you will certainly have to upgrade it, and thus half your system,
> because it uses Qt's private methods.

It's been some time since I did this kind of stuff, but I think you
*should* be able to pull the 5.11 only alongside the standard one that
comes from stable. It's true, however, that a lot of stuff is going to be
pulled alongside. It also means no metapackages, though, so I'd agree it's
a risk/work that's probably not worth it. I'd say building yourself is
probably faster/safer in that context (or even pulling it through the Qt
maintenance tool). Correct me if I'm wrong but also trying to "ignore" the
deps may work in some cases, depending on how far stable is behind testing.