[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 86, Issue 14

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Wed Nov 28 01:55:09 CET 2018

I couldn’t agree more with Roland's concerns here.

I am stuck on Qt 5.5 because of the QWebKit debacle....

I am finally moving on to VS 2017 + a newer GCC, that I can consistently build QWebKit with only minor mods to the build-webkit script.  But we build all our code with Wall and warnings as errors.

It’s a 4-6 week project to move code to a different compiler... Some of the warnings are valid, and surprising.. Some are overly pedantic, and a pain.. But we have to verify code changes don’t introduce new issues...

While I understand the "want" to move to a new compiler.. and I do love many of the modern c++ advantages.  For a core library such as Qt to FORCE a new compiler, leaves many stuck on older versions

Scott