[Interest] Porting Qt to our RTOS

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Fri Sep 28 10:55:15 CEST 2018

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 18:03:55 +0200, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Interest wrote:

> This is another blatant false statement, because you can port just the
> parts of Qt that you need, and even those can be further trimmed down
> using the feature system. (That's actually how you would do a port in
> the first place.)

While I agree with almost everything of your posting I don't do with this
one:

Qt/Quick has gone into the direction of Web technologies and you can't
change this by simply disabling some features. This goes much deeper and
has to do with the philosophy/mindset behind the product.

Have a look at https://www.qt.io/qt-vs-html-5-strengths-and-weaknesses.
There is nothing wrong with these articles, but "four to eight times
lower RAM requirements" than a beast like HTML5 does not put Qt into a
different category.

Actually we were so disappointed ( learning it the hard way with a
project using QML ) about the direction Qt has taken, that we finally
started our own framework on top of ~ QuickItem/QQuickWindow ( https://
github.com/uwerat/qskinny ).

Uwe

PS: would be nice to have a feature to get rid of all QML related members/
interfaces of QQuickItem/QQuickWindow