[Interest] help: build from git setup

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Dec 18 02:59:05 CET 2020

On Thursday, 17 December 2020 20:08:21 -03 David M. Cotter wrote:
> on macos 10.14

I suggest upgrading.

> i got to the point of testing my ssh thing with this command:
> > ssh codereview.qt-project.org gerrit stream-events
>
> but all that did was... nothing. didn't even return to the command line
> prompt. just sat there. what is expected?

Yes. Why are you running this?

> then i got all the way to executing this command:
> > perl init-repository --module-subset=default,-qtwebengine
>
> it immediately came back with:
> > Will not reinitialize already initialized repository (use -f to force)!
>
> ummm... okay....  is.. THAT expected?

Yes, if it is already initialised from a previous run.

> > + git config remote.gerrit.fetch +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/gerrit/*
> > /heads/ Aliasing
> > /Volumes/Developer/depot/qt5/qtrepotools/git-hooks/gerrit_commit_msg_hook>
> >       as
> >       /Volumes/Developer/depot/qt5/qt3d/../.git/modules/qt3d/hooks/commit
> >       -msg ...>
> > Cannot create forwarding script
> > /Volumes/Developer/depot/qt5/qt3d/../.git/modules/qt3d/hooks/commit-msg:
> > No such file or directory
> at this point i no longer believe i can just "keep going"
>
> anyone know what to do at this point?

The perl init-repository script was never updated to deal with Git submodules
creating .git files instead of .git dirs. Ignore the errors from it and use
only git submodule update. If you want to make contributions, you'll need to
enable the commit hook script manually.