[Interest] The K in KDE

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Fri Jul 10 14:19:47 CEST 2020

On 7/9/20 5:00 AM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
> You do realise that Kai and I worked directly with Matthias Ettrich for many
> years and we asked him directly about this? The founder of KDAB (whose
> initials are KD) was also there and says the same story. The KDE
> representative to the KDE Free Qt Foundation was also there and he says he's
> the one who tried to retroactively call it "Kool" but it didn't stick.

You must be tired man. Get some rest.

You do realize that you just agreed with me and basically confirmed the
book, right?

I said it stood for nothing. Others in here claimed it was for "Kool"
which would run afoul of a trademark in many countries.

KOOL cigarettes trademark (word mark)

https://trademarks.justia.com/715/42/kool-71542076.html

Kool® is a registered trademark of ITG Brands, LLC.

Original filing date of the mark **

1947-11-24

Page 183 of "the book" (I just picked one, there were more)

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Desktop_Linux/jHTj-clXms8C?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=k+desktop+history&pg=PA183&printsec=frontcover

"The K was originally suggested to stand for "Kool", but it was quickly
decided that the K should stand for nothing in particular"

 >The KDE representative to the KDE Free Qt Foundation was also there
and he says he's the one who tried to retroactively call it "Kool" but
it didn't stick.

That agrees with me and "the book."

--
Roland Hughes, President