[Interest] wss:// on localhost

Alexander Carôt alexander_carot at gmx.net
Tue Jul 21 10:07:45 CEST 2020

> I don't see how that affects anything. Are you saying you can't update the
> application? If you can't update the application, how are you going to apply
> the fixes we're discussing here?

Misunderstanding :-) Of course I apply application updates in more or less regular intervals of several weeks.

> If you meant that they aren't able to generate the certificate, let me clarify
> that I meant the application should do that automatically.

That was the misunderstanding - I thought you wanted each user to generate it manually.

> There needs to be
> no user interaction. The certificate is just something that the WebSocket
> client and server agree upon before start, like the port number. I mentioned
> "every few months" just so you don't incur the penalty of the generation on
> every start.

So far I assumed that it is impossible to generate a localhost certificate which runs on any other machine's localhost as well and it brings me to the next question:

How do I generate the required CRT and KEY - File for localhost which shall work on every other client's localhost.

Sorry if the solution might be trivial - I am simply completely unexperienced in terms of securiry :-)

Thanks a lot again in advance

Alex

--
http://www.carot.de