[Interest] Wayland QPA in Qt 5.12.8 LTS

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 19 17:56:59 CEST 2020

On Thursday, 18 June 2020 22:13:07 PDT Ramakanth Kesireddy wrote:
> Could you please let me know if it is recommended to use Wayland for single
> Qt client application using QWidget on embedded board with EGLFS or
> hardware accelerated rendering? As we cannot use EGLFS which fallsback to
> fbdev with existing QWidget application, does it makes sense to use Wayland
> to improve performance?

In a Wayland system, you must have:
 - exactly one compositor (which doesn't use Wayland)
 - zero or more applications using Wayland

But that only makes sense if you have two or more. If you have only one,
there's no need to launch the compositor to composite that single
application's output. Just have the application output directly to whatever
the compositor was using as a backend.

Which is also the exception: when the backend of the compositor is not
something directly supported by Qt.