[Interest] L Word

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Thu Apr 29 00:42:30 CEST 2021

On 29/04/2021 00:08, Roland Hughes wrote:

> On 4/21/21 5:00 AM, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
>> On your right: witness B, found to be lying multiple times in the past
>
> I have never lied in here. Been incorrect at times? Most assuredly at
> some point. I have never lied.
>
> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/lying-definition/
>
> =====
>
> (L1)To lie =_df to make a believed-false statement to another person
> with the intention that the other person believe that statement to be true.
>
> L1 is the traditional definition of lying. According to L1, there are at
> least four necessary conditions for lying. First, lying requires that a
> person make a statement (statement condition). Second, **lying requires
> that the person believe the statement to be false**; that is, lying
> requires that the statement be untruthful (untruthfulness condition).
> Third, lying requires that the untruthful statement be made to another
> person (addressee condition). Fourth, lying requires that the person
> intend that that other person believe the untruthful statement to be
> true (intention to deceive the addressee condition).

Fantastic! Let's go with this, with a random example: did you or did you
not believe that operator new was "deprecated in C++20 and slated for
removal in C++23", and that smart pointers "most likely they will go
away with "new.""?

> https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2019-December/034245.html

If the answer is yes, you were lying. If the answer is no, or you don't
answer, then you're trolling the mailing list. You'll get my apology;
I'll even throw in, for free, my personal congratulations for the long
trolling. But, you'll get a nice permanent ban from here.

> Long ago I came to terms with every Usenet news group or Internet
> mailing list comes one troll with a God complex. They have skin ten
> thousands of an inch thick and consider everything a personal insult.
> For whatever reason, you've chosen to be that here. Fine.

Ha ha ha ha.

> What I can't understand is why the moderators haven't yet put you on a
> forced 18+month vacation, especially given all of the emails coming
> around off-list.

Oh really? Have I contacted YOU off-list? Could you produce an example?
(You may have noticed that my emails are cryptographically signed, so
good luck with this).

Or someone else contacted you off-list? In which case, you must be so
lucky at having so many dedicated fans writing directly to you. If only
they came forward here contributing to the discussions, this mailing
list would be much more alive.

> Here's the thing.
>
> [snip of a huge, nonsensical
>
> **lying requires that the person believe the statement to be false**
>
> __OR__
>
> You can make amends, here, publicly, and go away for a while whether it
> is imposed or not.
>
> Failing that I will have to pursue this via other avenues.

Get out.

KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts