[Interest] Bluetooth LE: scheduleServiceDetailDiscovery issue

cagnulein cagnulein at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 07:56:57 CET 2021

Hi, i'm developing a central app on android and ios that connects with
several types of devices (most of them are fitness machinery).

I'm facing a simple issue and I would like to ask you why Qt has this
behaviour.

The issue is that some bluetooth peripherals don't allow to read some
characteristics or same descriptors even if they are marked as readable.

I know that it sounds like a peripheral bug, but there are a lot of
firmware written in this way and we can't change them.

Infact, nrfconnect app (that i guess has more bluetooth experience that Qt
had :) ), doesn't read all the chars and descriptors during the
discovery process, so i guess Qt should do the same.

Looking at the code on Android, i guess the responsible of this behavior is
this function: *scheduleServiceDetailDiscovery.*

So the question is: could i safely remove this one? I mean, the side effect
of removing it should be that I will not have the values of the charts and
the descriptors in the very beginning phase, but of course I could always
read them after the init phase.

If you want I could provide a hci snoof of a buggy peripheral.

Thanks in advance.

Roberto Viola
Software engineer and open source enthusiast
http://robertoviola.cloud