[Interest] Qt 6 Ubuntu package

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Thu Jan 28 07:56:21 CET 2021

Hey,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 12:08:44PM +0530, Nibedit Dey wrote:
> I am looking for a way to install Qt6 without downloading the
> *qt-unified-linux-x86-4.0.1-online.run* file.
> Is there a Qt 6 Ubuntu package like the one for Qt 5? e.g.:- *sudo apt-get
> install qt5-default*

Ubuntu's packages are mostly inherited from Debian, where the Qt package
maintainers stepped down before the Qt 6 release because of a lack of
time:

https://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/2020/08/stepping-down-as-qt-6-maintainers.html
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-Needs-Qt6-Maintainers

Also see:

https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-kde-talk/2021-January/003236.html

Given that everyone there is focusing on the next Debian Stable
(Bullseye) which will ship Qt 5.15.2, I doubt there was work on Qt 6 so
far. Also note that pretty much nothing is ported to Qt 6 at this point,
because many modules are still missing in Qt 6.0 (and probably 6.1 too).

Thus, you'll probably have to use the online installer (or an
alternative such as aqtinstall).

Florian

--
            me at the-compiler.org | https://www.qutebrowser.org