[Localization] Updating translations by e-mail

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 11:54:57 CET 2017

> Sgrìobh Oswald Buddenhagen na leanas 01/11/2017 aig 08:45:
>> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 03:00:33PM +0100, scootergrisen wrote:
>>> The process for submitting translations to Qt and reading the
>>> documentation on how to do it is far to complicated.
>>>
>> with sufficient will, one gets used to gerrit pretty quickly.
>
> You might be so used to it by now that you underestimate how difficult
> it can be.
>
> For my first submission, it took me about 1 hour of running in circles
> in the documentation until I managed it - I actually ended up following
> links to the same few pages over and over again until I figured it out.
>
> For my second submission a few weeks later, I had forgotten how to do it
> and after about 15 mintues of running in circles on the documentation
> again, I decided that I have better things to do (like doing translation
> maintenance on my 20+ other volunteer projects, for example) and sent an
> e-mail instead.
>
> Now, I am a programmer who is used to version control systems in
> general. For most non-programmers, forget it, they won't figure it out,
> feel stupid and go away - I suspect that this is actually losing us some
> good translators.
>
> It might work better if we had some step-by-step instructions especially
> for localizers on just 1 page without linking to the general
> documentation for programmers, so we won't need to collect the
> information from multiple sources.

+1

The first push to Gerrit is a pain. The wiki pages are full of info, but
between checking out Qt, setting up commit hooks, registering to
and configuring Gerrit, it takes a lot of time and will power. Even for
developers.

> Also, I'm sure that many localizers work on Windows, as do I. I can put
> my translations on a USB stick to transport them to my little Linux
> machine for getting easier access to Gerrit, but we can't expect every
> localizer to have such a machine.

I do not see the link between "easy access to Gerrit" and Linux.
Once you have installed Git on Windows, it is not more complicated
to access Gerrit from Windows than it is from Linux.

Br,

Benjamin