[PySide] PySide is Dead?

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Mon Dec 10 16:48:38 CET 2012

Hugo Parente Lima wrote:
> Is normal, our the binding generator code base is a mess to understand due to
> various historical events occurred during the development, in the ideal world
> the generator would be written in Python with a clean code base, just the
> helper libraries in C++ (libshiboken and libpyside), but this would require a
> full rewrite of the generator :-/. Our typesystem file inherited from Qt-Jambi
> is also not the better way to give hints to the generator about how to
> generate bindings.

This was our impression also.  This and any other effort towards making
PySide easier to understand, better documented, etc, will certainly go a
long way to making it maintainable.

The worst thing that actually bites us in practice are problems w/
object references and object life cycle (PySide object remains when C++
object is gone, and similar).  Since our time is constrained, we've
focused on this rather than something more ambitious like rewriting the
generator in Python.

- Stephan