[PySide] About the next PySide release

Hugo Parente Lima hugo.lima at openbossa.org
Wed Feb 29 18:58:17 CET 2012

Hi,

Just raising a small issue: We have enough bug fixes to do a release but due
to this long transition to qt-projects plus the guys that didn't accepted the
CLA for they patches, mostly of the bugfixes are on github repository and the
github repository already differs a lot from the gitorious and gerrit
repositories so the question is:

Should I do a release based on which repository? The most recent github with
new bugs fixed or the gerit without the new fixes plus minor regressions due
to people that didn't accepted the CLA?

A hard choice... because if I do the release based on github I'll have a nice
PySide release with plenty of bugs fixed but what to do next release? i.e. it
doesn't really solves the problem.

If I go for gerrit, maybe there's not even enough fixes for a release plus I
don't want to spend my free time at home doing the re-work of applying patches
and solving conflicts on the new repository instead of fixing new bugs.

While there's not a complete answer for that I can't do a release and PySide
stays in this limbo with active development but without a release :-/, for
sure PySide can't be that way forever.

To increase the mess yesterday I pushed commits into Shiboken to simplify
PySide releases and development, ApiExtractor is now a static library and
GeneratorRunner is no more, so you will only need two repositories to compile
PySide, the one for the generator (Shiboken) and PySide itself.

Comments, opinions, whatever about this issue is appreciated.

Regards.

--
Hugo Parente Lima