[PySide] PySide Digest, Vol 15, Issue 31

Aaron Richiger a.richi at bluewin.ch
Mon Apr 15 10:19:34 CEST 2013

[Repost of the previous message, which was forwarded and seemed to be
empty, because it's text was quoted as a response, so here again, the
unquoted message:]

Hello Matthew!

This are the required steps to get a running colibri example (all
commands for Ubuntu or similar, you have to adapt them to your OS):

1) Install git on your system (we don't know your OS, but google will
tell you how...)
     sudo apt-get install git

2) Clone Thomas Perls great qml-examples by executing the following on
your command line (this will create a new folder callled
pyside-qml-examples, colibri is already included in there (see folder
"colibri")):
     git clone
git://gitorious.org/pyside-qml-examples/pyside-qml-examples.git

3) Change the current directory to this new directory:
     cd pyside-qml-examples

4) Run your first colibri example:
     python CarAnalogy.py

To get info about git, this is the wrong place:)! Google will help you
more and there are plenty of good git tutorials out there.
But you are on the right track: It's a versioning system which basically
means, that it allows you to keep track of different versions of your
software. If you push your git project to github or other platforms,
then it also acts as a backup and you can then share your code from
there with others (just like Thomas Perl did this with his
qml-examples). And finally, it allows collaboration of more than one
developer by supporting branching, merging and other functionality.
To sum up: git (or hg or svn or others....) make our world a better
place and I think it's worth having a look at it for every developer,
you won't regret it!

Cheers
Aaron