[PySide] help: can't install Pyside on linux anymore

Frank Rueter | OHUfx frank at ohufx.com
Thu Aug 29 08:22:17 CEST 2013

Hi guys,

this may be a linux problem more than a PySide problem, but after a day
of searching for a solution I am a bit desperate and was hoping somebody
here would be able to help:

A few days ago I installed PySide on Kubuntu 12.10 without any trouble
by running those commands:

|sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pyside
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-pyside|

This successfully installed PySide to
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PySide

I then decided to move the installed PySide folder to a central server
location which is in my PYTHONPATH to be able to access the same PySide
install from multiple machine (to avoid version problems etc).

After that some host applications that are using PySide natively
wouldn't launch any longer (PySide itself worked fine), so I decided to
back paddle; I deleted all files on the server again and ran this to
clean up:

sudo apt-get purge python-pyside|
|sudo apt-get autoremove

Now I thought I'd be ready for a clean install again, so I started over
with the above mentioned install commands.
First, this only installed the binaries (.so files) into
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PySide, no __init__.py, nothing else.
So I tried un-installing and re-installing a few times, but now nothing
gets installed at all anymore.

When running |sudo apt-get update|, I now get these errors:

    /Err http://ppa.launchpad.net quantal/main Sources 404  Not Found//
    //Hit http://security.ubuntu.com quantal-security/restricted i386
    Packages//
    //Err http://ppa.launchpad.net quantal/main amd64 Packages 404  Not
    Found//
    //Err http://ppa.launchpad.net quantal/main i386 Packages 404  Not
    Found//
    //W: Failed to fetch
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/pyside/ppa/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/source/Sources
    404  Not Found//
    //W: Failed to fetch
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/pyside/ppa/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-amd64/Packages
    404  Not Found//
    //W: Failed to fetch
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/pyside/ppa/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-i386/Packages
    404  Not Found/

I checked in a web browser, and sure enough, the "quantal" dist does not
exist:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/pyside/ppa/ubuntu/dists/

It feels like it was simply removed the other day since I was able to
install PySide successfully but it's more likely that I'm stuffing up
something here.

Can somebody please help with this? I am stuck and need to get this
running soon :(

Cheers,
frank