[PySide] help: can't install Pyside on linux anymore

Sebastian Elsner sebastian at risefx.com
Thu Aug 29 09:03:37 CEST 2013

Hey Frank,

I don't know about the linux part but you can keep PySide on a central
server, just don't add that path to you PYTHONPATH by default. Nuke does
not need to know about it, but in a standalone app you could just do
something like:

import sys
sys.path.add("/server/pyside")

and that one works again.

The strategy I am going for here is: All standalone apps use the
standard (Windows) Python and standard installers for packages.
We have a lot of compiled dependencies  like PyQt, ZeroMQ or MySQL in
Maya/Nuke/Houdini. The path.add method is the way I manage those to
dynamically "mount" (i.e. path.add) all the packages I need per host
program (with their own compiler version, because thats where the
problem comes from)

Cheers

Sebastian

  placeOn 08/29/2013 08:22 AM, Frank Rueter | OHUfx wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> this may be a linux problem more than a PySide problem, but after a
> day of searching for a solution I am a bit desperate and was hoping
> somebody here would be able to help:
>
> A few days ago I installed PySide on Kubuntu 12.10 without any trouble
> by running those commands:
> |sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pyside
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install python-pyside|
>
> This successfully installed PySide to
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PySide
>
> I then decided to move the installed PySide folder to a central server
> location which is in my PYTHONPATH to be able to access the same
> PySide install from multiple machine (to avoid version problems etc).
>
> After that some host applications that are using PySide natively
> wouldn't launch any longer (PySide itself worked fine), so I decided
> to back paddle; I deleted all files on the server again and ran this
> to clean up:
> |
> sudo apt-get purge python-pyside|
> |sudo apt-get autoremove
>

> Now I thought I'd be ready for a clean install again, so I started
> over with the above mentioned install commands.
> First, this only installed the binaries (.so files) into
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PySide, no __init__.py, nothing else.
> So I tried un-installing and re-installing a few times, but now
> nothing gets installed at all anymore.
>
> When running |sudo apt-get update|, I now get these errors:
>
>     /Err http://ppa.launchpad.net quantal/main Sources  404  Not Found//
>     //Hit http://security.ubuntu.com quantal-security/restricted i386
>     Packages//
>     //Err http://ppa.launchpad.net quantal/main amd64 Packages  404
>     Not Found//
>     //Err http://ppa.launchpad.net quantal/main i386 Packages  404
>     Not Found//
>     //W: Failed to fetch
>     http://ppa.launchpad.net/pyside/ppa/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/source/Sources
>     404  Not Found//
>     //W: Failed to fetch
>     http://ppa.launchpad.net/pyside/ppa/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-amd64/Packages
>     404  Not Found//
>     //W: Failed to fetch
>     http://ppa.launchpad.net/pyside/ppa/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-i386/Packages
>     404  Not Found/
>

> I checked in a web browser, and sure enough, the "quantal" dist does
> not exist:
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/pyside/ppa/ubuntu/dists/
>
> It feels like it was simply removed the other day since I was able to
> install PySide successfully but it's more likely that I'm stuffing up
> something here.
>
> Can somebody please help with this? I am stuck and need to get this
> running soon :(
>
> Cheers,
> frank

check out www.pointcloud9.com

Sebastian Elsner - Pipeline Technical Director - RISE

t: +49 30 20180300 florian at risefx.com
f: +49 30 61651074 www.risefx.com

RISE FX GmbH
Schlesische Strasse 28, Aufgang B, 10997 Berlin
c/o action concept, An der Hasenkaule 1-7, 50354 Hürth
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Sven Pannicke, Robert Pinnow
Handelsregister Berlin HRB 106667 B