[PySide] mobile question

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 18:51:31 CEST 2013

30.7.2013 18:30, Matthew Ngaha:
> hey guys i slowed down a bit in my learning of Pyside but i noticed i
> focused a lot on qml. The problem i have is everytime i see an
> instructional qml video, to get an application on a mobile device,
> they always use QtCreator. Always. It's left me lost because i know
> this isn't available to Python, and having never done mobile apps i
> want to know is it possible to get a qml or even pyside app on a
> mobile device without QtCreator, and how? Is it a hard process or
> still very simple like it would be with C++?
Depends on the platform:
* on Maemo (Nokia N900) and MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan (Nokia N9),
you just have to manually make a Debian package for your application
* for Android, you can actually use the Qt Creator from the Necessitas SDK
to deploy & debug your PySide application, see:
http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_for_Android_guide
https://github.com/raaron/pydroid
* for BB10, you just have to roll your own BAR and you are good to go
(not much documentation for this at the moment though)
* for Nemo Mobile, you just have to make a RPM package manually

To just run the application, you can usually get around a full
package-deploy cycle
by just deploying the application once and then replacing the Python or
QML part
by some rsync/scp/adb or similar. Enables quite a rapid debug cycle. :)

BTW, my PySide-using applications - modRana[1] and Mieru[2] work & are
packaged for all of these platforms,
so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

[1] https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana
[2] https://github.com/M4rtinK/Mieru

Best wishes
Martin Kolman