[PySide] PySide on OS X

Sean Fisk sean at seanfisk.com
Sat Nov 9 07:18:57 CET 2013

Hi Tim,

I frequently use PySide on OS X. The best way to install and use it, in my
opinion, is the following:

   -

   Install homebrew <http://brew.sh/> and run brew install pyside
   pyside-tools. This will automatically download and compile Qt from
   source as well.
    -

   Create a virtualenv for your project.
    - Write a PTH file <http://docs.python.org/2/library/site.html> to the
   site-packages directory of your virtualenv that points to your PySide
   installation. On my system the path is
   /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages. With that, you should be able to
   run:

   python -c 'import PySide; print PySide.__version__'

To distribute our PySide app we use py2app
<http://pythonhosted.org/py2app/>to create an app bundle,
makeicns <https://bitbucket.org/mkae/makeicns> to create our application
icon, and yoursway-create-dmg<https://github.com/andreyvit/yoursway-create-dmg>to
create a fancy disk image. They are not without issues but for the
most
part work well. Our app distributes without any external dependencies.

I can’t comment on PySide with OS 10.9 Mavericks as I am still on OS 10.6
Snow Leopard (I know, I know). Honestly, the reason I haven’t updated is
because I figured everything would break. Here are my versions:

   - Qt 4.8.5
   - PySide 1.2.0
   - Python 2.7.5
   - Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard
   - py2app 0.7.3

Please let me know if you need any help installing or distributing your
application. Our project is closed-source but I would be happy to share our
distribution code with you.

Sean Fisk