[PySide] Qt5 support

Henry Gomersall heng at cantab.net
Tue Nov 19 10:18:09 CET 2013

On 11/07/13 20:53, John Ehresman wrote:
> On 7/11/13 11:40 AM, Fabien Castan wrote:
>> >Has someone started some development or test for Qt5 support?
>> >I don’t know what is the difficulty to switch to Qt5. There is always a
>> >discussion about improving the binding tool with the binding of Qt5. Are
>> >these improvements really needed for Qt5 support?
> We talked about this at the sprint and decided to look at alternative
> binding tools in conjunction with supporting Qt5.  The goal will be a
> set of bindings that the developers who are currently supporting PySide
> can more easily support and maintain.  None of us were involved with the
> development of shiboken and we would like to look at alternatives.
>
> That said, developer could begin looking at the changes required by Qt
> 5.  PySide is developed and maintained by the community and well thought
> out patches and other changes to support Qt 5 would likely be accepted.

I've actually been thinking about this. I naively thought that most of
the effort was in the API extraction, but having read the excellent blog
post that John pointed me to previously (
http://setanta.wordpress.com/binding-c/ ), I'm very much conscious of
the other aspects.

It struck me that libshiboken could still be a very useful tool in any
future binding efforts, providing tools to alleviate much of the C++
difficulties. I'm sure it could be used with no end of alternative
options (I've been thinking about it in the context of Cython bindings).

Cheers,

Henry