[PySide] PySide Is Dead?

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Tue Feb 10 06:07:10 CET 2015

Stephan Deibel wrote:
> Most of the more serious and heavily invested current users of PySide
> are there because of licensing issues in PyQt and thus can't just move
> over to PyQt.  The key issue is that if someone sells a product with a
> scripting API then PyQt requires paying a per-user licensing fee.  Not a
> large one, but it's still a problem for some, for example if you're
> giving away a lot of free licenses on the side, or just want to avoid
> this sort of entanglement.  I doubt that is going away, but if it does
> than so may PySide.

I just found out that the above statement (by me, earlier today) is no
longer true!

Licensing for the commercial version of PyQt now allows Python to be
used to script or extend the functionality of the commercial application
by its users.  You just need to purchase developer licenses for the
people writing the commercial app itself, and due to Qt commercial
licensing details you need to use the LGPL version of Qt.

See the 7th Q on http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/commercial/license-faq

I've also had confirmation of this via email from PyQt's author, Phil
Thompson.

I don't know if my prediction that this means the end of PySide is true
either, but it certainly changes the landscape considerably...

- Stephan