[QBS] Questions about QBS best practices

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 09:32:09 CEST 2013

2013/6/14 Smirnov Vladimir <mapron at yandex.ru>:
> Are you sure i should six times duplicate just the same settings?

If those values are the same all the time, why are they configurable
in the first place? Can't you just set sane defaults and/or a base
directory that gets appended with some fixed relative paths? That
might reduce the number of settings you have...

There is also the option to copy kit configurations in creator. So you
can set them up once and then copy them over to the other kits. That
eases setup, but of course makes editing the settings annoying.

> What do you think is correct way now?

I am not sure yet:-)

My feeling is that we should *not* mix system wide settings (compiler,
etc.) with project specific settings like (use path X for
configuration files, etc.). The profile is not the right place for the
latter kind of configuration IMHO.

We should have good support for configuring Qbs project in creator. I
have not looked into probes, etc. yet, so I have not yet made up my
mind on what the best way for doing that is. I would like to have
something that works well for both plain qbs and qbs-in-QtC here.

Best Regards,
Tobias