[QBS] qbs & qt creator

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at digia.com
Thu May 22 15:00:08 CEST 2014

On 05/22/2014 02:29 PM, Kurt Keller wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 22.05.2014
> schrieb Christian Kandeler <christian.kandeler at digia.com>:
>
>> On 05/22/2014 11:32 AM, Kurt Keller wrote:
>>> I have Qt Creator 3.1.1 and Qt 5.3.0 successfully compiled and
>>> installed into a single folder, called qtdevenv-5.3. I can use Qt
>>> Creator with qbs projects - no problem.
>>>
>>> But how can I install qbs in a way that
>>>
>>> - it resides in the same install folder 'qtdevenv-5.3'
>>> - it does not interfere with the version from Qt Creator
>>> - it can be called from shell
>>> - it uses the same profiles (and the same build directories) as
>>>     Qt Creator uses.
>>
>> Let me see whether I understand you correctly: You want to run the
>> command-line version of qbs and use it on the same projects that you
>> build in Qt Creator?
>
> Yes - commandline is mostly used to build the products i.e. by cron over
> night and Qt Creator is used for support/debugging/development.
>
>>> I was not able to do that. Some reasons: If I use the bundled Qbs from
>>> Qt Creator 3.1.1 the Qt modules are missing and (called from the shell)
>>> qbs says 'Module Qt/core could not be loaded'
>>
>> In qbs 1.2, the modules are per-profile. Nothing is missing.
>
> What does this mean? I am missing files like printsupport.qbs, xml.qbs
> etc. (It does work in Qt Creator magically - but I could not find out
> the magic to get it working from the shell)

The "magic" is calling "qbs setup-qt", just as before. Only the
internals have changed with regards to file locations. But you never
refer to those directly anyway.

>>> If I use qbs 1.1.1 (official downlod from
>>> https://login.qt.digia.com/downloads the dll's mismatch. (Qt Creator
>>> Version <> QBS Version)
>>
>> Creator 3.1 has qbs 1.2.
>
> Correct - but even if I use the same version - the paths for the qbs
> modules and plugins are different.

This is due to Creator using its own settings directory, which is
necessary in order to be able to run several instances of Creator
without conflicts. You can see the command line equivalent of what
Creator does when you click on the "Details" button for the qbs build step.