[Qbs] Compiling QtCreator QbsProjectManager plugin with Qbs

Wolfgang Baron Wolfgang.Baron at gmx.net
Tue Feb 21 20:15:06 CET 2017

Am 21.02.2017 um 11:07 schrieb Christian Kandeler:
> On 02/21/2017 12:29 AM, Wolfgang Baron wrote:
>> I am trying to compile QtCreator for debugging and I like Qbs, so I
>> tried compiling QtCreator using the Qbs project file using
>> QtCreator-4.2.1 and Qt-5.8 msvc2015 32 bits on Windows 10 (current
>> version installed through web installer). In fact, I also tried 64 bits
>> with the same result.
>>
>> All seemed well, but then I noticed, QbsProjectManager was not there,
>> which was the main reason I compiled QtCreator in the first place. The
>> project manager shows QbsProjectManager in grey, implying an ignored
>> state. A check on why this could be lead me to property "condition" of
>> the QbsProjectManager product. I replaced the condition with:
>>
>>      condition: {
>>              console.info("buildQbsProjectManager " +
>> project.buildQbsProjectManager);
>>              return project.buildQbsProjectManager;
>>      }
>>
>> This printed "true". I changed the calculation of buildQbsProjectManager
>> in the surrounding "src.qbs" and also got the information, that
>> QbsProjectManager should be built. Nonetheless, it is grey in the
>> QtCreator project view and is not built.
>> What is happening here?
> Good question. The condition is either true or false; if it prints true,
> it should at least try to build the product.
> Note that products can get force-disabled if a (recoverable) error is
> encountered when loading them, such as a missing dependency. You should
> see a warning message in that case, though.
Thanks for the idea, but I did the git thing. It is QtScript, which
appears to be missing. Qbs seems to still depend on this deprecated
module. However, I cannot install it successfully. Trying to install it
results in the following error:

---------------------------
Installer Error
---------------------------
Error during installation process (qt.58.qtscript.win32_msvc2015):
Could not find the needed
QmakeOutputInstallerKey(qt.58.win32_msvc2015_qmakeoutput) value on the
installer object. The ConsumeOutput operation on the valid qmake needs
to be called first.
---------------------------
Retry   Ignore   Cancel
---------------------------

I found a discussion on
https://forum.qt.io/topic/56419/qt-maintenance-tool-fails-to-install-qtscript-fixed
about this concerning Qt-5.5 from 2 years ago (!) and it still is not
fixed. Why does the Qt Company ship QtScript if I cannot install it. Do
they actually expect me to install this from source instead? I guess I
will have to try that. Maybe you have a better idea? Is the Qbs team
working on a replacement for the QtScript dependency?

Maybe a bit more explicit output would be nice, telling me what else was
disabled because of these warnings (it tells me about qbscore, not about
QbsProjectManager or whatever else I do not know about).