[Qbs] QBS usage

Timur Kristóf timur.kristof at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 22:46:18 CEST 2018

Hi Tino,

On Sat, 2018-06-16 at 03:58 +0000, Tino Pyssysalo wrote:
> I’m Tino Pyssysalo, the new product owner of QBS at the Qt Company.

Congrats on your new role!

> I’d like to conduct a small survey about QBS usage in the community
> to make investment and feature decisions to the product.

Cool! It's really nice to see that you are genuinely interested in your
users.

> I’d like to know, if you have used or are using QBS as a build system
> in real projects

Yes, I currently use it in an embedded project with the Qt Creator
"bare metal" plugin and the arm-none-eabi GCC toolchain.

Also tried to use it with other projects, but on each attempt there was
always an issue that kept us back.

>  and all feedback and suggestions would be mostly welcome. This is a
> great opportunity to affect the future of QBS.

If I recall correctly, one of the main pain points was support for 3rd
party libraries in a cross-platform way. One of my collegaues hit a
wall with this when he tried to switch his project to QBS.

I personally prefer QBS to qmake because it is more flexible and the
syntax is friendlier. Also the fact that it parallelizes builds by
default is great. I hope it will soon be adopted as the default
solution.

Thanks & best regards,
Tim