[Qbs] qbs command line help vs. documentation on qbs.io needs clarification

Christian Kandeler Christian.Kandeler at qt.io
Fri Jan 18 15:06:38 CET 2019

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 13:35:24 +0000
Maximilian Hrabowski <hrabowski at clausmark.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when looking at the command line help of the build command i get:
>
> qbs build [options] [[config:<configuration-name>] [<property>:<value>] ...] …
> Builds a project in one or more configuration(s).
>> So for me this means i can build my project with:
>
> > qbs config:debug profile:myQtProfile —build-directory ../build

Yes.

> However, when looking at the doc at http://doc.qt.io/qbs/building-applications.html i can read:
>
> > qbs build profile:Android debug release
>
> .. so the profile seems to come first but just “debug” seems to be something different than “config:debug” and profile:xxx looks like a property assignment which should come after the config according to the cmd help...

The website is outdated. We will fix this for the next release.

> Further below the doc says: "The position of the property assignment is important. In the example above, the profile property is set for all build configurations that come afterwards.”
>
> So my questions are:
>
> - Is profile:xxx a property assignment or something special and should it come before the config:xxx parameters of after?

It's a special property for the command line, like "config". Whether or not you put it before or after the "config" value makes a difference only when building for several configurations at once, as explained in the documentation you quoted above.

> - What means “debug” (qbs.io<http://qbs.io>) compared to “config:debug” (cmd help), which is right, which is outdated?

config:debug is right.

> For my configuration, it does not work if config:debug comes before the profile, but i do not have any default profile set.

You'll need to clarify what you mean by that.