[Qt-creator] Qt Creator & Qt5 alpha release?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Mar 13 23:58:21 CET 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:36:20PM +0000, quim.gil at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ziller Eike wrote:
> > we plan to release the Qt Creator 2.5 beta this week.
> > http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_Creator/Releases
>
> Ok, understood. Thanks!
>
> Do you think we will know before March 20 whether this Qt Creator 2.5
> release does build in Qt 5 alpha?

This depends a bit on what is in Qt 5 at that time. Currently there are
still major changes going on there, with a tendency to break compilation.

To my best understanding, Creator was compilable with Qt 5 a week ago,
at least on Linux, and it isn't right now, and fixing that is
non-trivial.

> It won't be really nice if we have the first Qt 5 release and among
> the first comments we get is "not even Qt Creator builds there".

Neither the comment nor the fact would or should come unexpected.

> fyi we are doing our best pushing applications developers to get their
> hands dirty with Qt 5 as soon as possible.

> Testing Qt Creator 2.5 against Qt 5 alpha does help.

As far as I can tell, things like the container changes haven't even
been merged yet to Qt 5 proper. When they are in, the display of
container data in the debugger _will_ break. This will (hopefully) not
affect "compilability", but certainly usability.

Maybe someone volunteers to fix that _before_ application developers
are "pushed to get their hands dirty" ;-}

Andre'