[Qt-creator] Towards Qt Creator 2.6, the debugger side

Tobias Nätterlund tobias.naetterlund at kdab.com
Fri May 11 10:30:06 CEST 2012

On Thursday 10 May 2012 15.59.47 andre.poenitz at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Now that 2.5 is out of the door I'd like to start with a couple of clean
> ups in the gdb parts of the debugger plugin.
>
> The officially minimal gdb version supported by Qt Creator 2.5 is FSF 7.2
> for Linux and Window, and  Apple's 6.3-*-1461 for Mac. Older ones usually
> work, too, more or less accidentally due to a bunch of version specific
> workarounds. Some of these workarounds cause extra load during the
> actually debugging (even when using a recent version), so I'd really like
> to get rid of them.
>
> For Qt Creator 2.6 I'd like to bump the minimum requirement to gdb 7.4.1.
> There are binaries for Linux and Windows on http://builds.qt-project.org.
>
> The situation around the FSF gdb on Mac seems to be a bit better now.
> With a bit of luck there _might_ be a usable FSF gdb (7.4+) at 2.6 beta
> time. Right now there are no known immediate crashes, only "minor"
> problems related to far binaries and breakpoints in larger applications,
> which might or might not be fixable or ignorable.
>
> If - and that's a big "IF" - this happens, I'll remove the MI/varobj and
> part of the breakpoint "discovery" code completely from the debugger
> plugin, and the 7.4.1 version requirement will become a hard one.
>

> !    If someone out there currently uses a Qt Creator for "unusual"
> !    targets (I know there are a few...) _and_ can absolutely not
> !    upgrade to a (python-enabled!) gdb 7.4.1 (I am not aware of such
> !    cases) please speak up as soon as possible.

For the QNX plugin, we are using the gdb's included in the different SDKs. The
BlackBerry NDK includes gdb 7.3, while the QNX SDK (for pure QNX targets) is
only at 6.8.

I am at this point not sure whether any of those can be updated within a
reasonable time frame.

-- Tobias

Tobias Nätterlund | tobias.naetterlund at kdab.com | Software Engineer