[Qt-creator] QtCreator customization: creating new project wizard, Kit and device configuration (creating an Ubuntu SDK plugin)

a.grandi at gmail.com a.grandi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:15:18 CET 2013

Hi!

I'm currently trying to customize QtCreator for my needs (I will
explain in details) and maybe if you think this could be useful for
everyone, I would like to provide my eventual patches upstream.

Let's go on.

I'm trying to customize QtCreator for Ubuntu (both desktop and
devices) development. Ubuntu recently announced the Ubuntu development
toolkit (you can find more informations here
http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/ ) and surely we can
already manually do these things, but it would be nice to have it
integrated in the upstream version.

In particular I would like to:

1) Being able to create a "New Ubuntu project" (since Ubuntu projects
utilize Ubuntu QML components): to do this I need to understand how
QtCreator wizards are created. Where can I find more informations
about it? I know, there is source code, but it's not a small project
:P if you can point me to some documentation I would apreciate it :)

2) Distribute a pre-configured "Kit" that already has all the
toolchains, compiler, Qt version etc... setup. How can I do it?

3) Adding a "Add new Ubuntu Device" in Options->Devices: so people
will be able to add it. For the moment what we need is not different
from what "Generic Linux Device" already offers, but I'd like to know
how to customize it, just in case we will need something different in
the future. Which part of the code do I have to customize?

4) Can/must the 3 previous steps be implemented with a specific
"Ubuntu plugin" (just like the BlackBerry one for example) or I must
modify QtCreator source code here and there?

I also have another question about the toolchain, but I don't know if
it's QtCreator related or a Qt generic one: what are the needed steps
to create a toolchain? At the moment we don't have Ubuntu devices so I
can reuse the "Desktop" toolchain with its x86 compiler, targets
etc... but in the future there will be Ubuntu Devices, so we will need
an ARM toolchain to cross compile project etc.... where can I find
more documentation about this?

Thanks for reading and any eventual help will be welcome :)

--
Andrea Grandi -  Software Engineer / Qt Ambassador
Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi