[Qt-creator] QtCreator customization: creating new project wizard, Kit and device configuration (creating an Ubuntu SDK plugin)

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at digia.com
Thu Jan 17 12:49:14 CET 2013

Hi Andrea!

Welcome aboard:-)

On 17.01.2013 12:15, a.grandi at gmail.com wrote:
> 2) Distribute a pre-configured "Kit" that already has all the
> toolchains, compiler, Qt version etc... setup. How can I do it?

Creator 2.6 comes with a sdktool that helps with registering these things.

Run sdktool --help for a list of commands and sdktool command --help for
more details on the options for each command. Its use is straight
forward and there are some examples in src/tools/sdktool/README.txt.

This tool unfortunately requires knowledge of creator internal enums and
constants used to identify different things. The easiest way to get
those is to set up a tool chain/kit/Qt version manually in creator and
then check the xml files creator saves those settings in for the actual
values. The files are in ~/.config/QtProject/qtcreator/something.xml
(kits are in profiles.xml for historical reasons;).

> 3) Adding a "Add new Ubuntu Device" in Options->Devices: so people
> will be able to add it. For the moment what we need is not different
> from what "Generic Linux Device" already offers, but I'd like to know
> how to customize it, just in case we will need something different in
> the future. Which part of the code do I have to customize?

There was some code using avahi to discover devices... maybe somebody
could brush that up. *hint*

Devices are derived from the IDevice class. They are constructed by an
IDeviceFactory.

> 4) Can/must the 3 previous steps be implemented with a specific
> "Ubuntu plugin" (just like the BlackBerry one for example) or I must
> modify QtCreator source code here and there?

Please keep all the ubuntu-specific code in a plugin. If you happen to
improve generic linux support, that can of course go with the existing code.

> I also have another question about the toolchain, but I don't know if
> it's QtCreator related or a Qt generic one: what are the needed steps
> to create a toolchain? At the moment we don't have Ubuntu devices so I
> can reuse the "Desktop" toolchain with its x86 compiler, targets
> etc... but in the future there will be Ubuntu Devices, so we will need
> an ARM toolchain to cross compile project etc.... where can I find
> more documentation about this?

For the creator side: A gcc targeting arm should be easy to add to the
GccToolChain. Actually it might already work:-) This depends a bit on
the configuration of your GCC.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Anja Wasenius