[Qt-creator] QtCreator customization: creating new project wizard, Kit and device configuration (creating an Ubuntu SDK plugin)

a.grandi at gmail.com a.grandi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 02:07:27 CET 2013

Hi Tobias!

On 17 January 2013 12:49, Tobias Hunger <tobias.hunger at digia.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrea!
> Welcome aboard:-)

thank you :)

> Creator 2.6 comes with a sdktool that helps with registering these things.
>
> Run sdktool --help for a list of commands and sdktool command --help for
> more details on the options for each command. Its use is straight forward
> and there are some examples in src/tools/sdktool/README.txt.
>
> This tool unfortunately requires knowledge of creator internal enums and
> constants used to identify different things. The easiest way to get those is
> to set up a tool chain/kit/Qt version manually in creator and then check the
> xml files creator saves those settings in for the actual values. The files
> are in ~/.config/QtProject/qtcreator/something.xml (kits are in profiles.xml
> for historical reasons;).

oh that's fine! The important for the moment is to know that there is
a way to do it.
We will think about how to use it later.

>> 3) Adding a "Add new Ubuntu Device" in Options->Devices: so people
>> will be able to add it. For the moment what we need is not different
>> from what "Generic Linux Device" already offers, but I'd like to know
>> how to customize it, just in case we will need something different in
>> the future. Which part of the code do I have to customize?
>

> There was some code using avahi to discover devices... maybe somebody could
> brush that up. *hint*
>
> Devices are derived from the IDevice class. They are constructed by an
> IDeviceFactory.

no, probably I didn't explain it very well. I don't need a way to
automatically discover/detect a device (well... it would not hurt :P
), I'm
asking what I should do to customize the QtCreator dialog window that
appear when you click on "Add" button.

Actually I've these choices:

- Generic Linux Device
- Maemo5/Fremantle
- MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan
- Blackberry Device
- QNX Device

How to add "Ubuntu Phone device" for example?
How to customize the dialog window that comes after you click on "Start Wizard"?
Is there a template I can modify, like I did for the project wizard?

> Please keep all the ubuntu-specific code in a plugin. If you happen to
> improve generic linux support, that can of course go with the existing code.

ok

> For the creator side: A gcc targeting arm should be easy to add to the
> GccToolChain. Actually it might already work:-) This depends a bit on the
> configuration of your GCC.

for the moment I can leave out the cross-compilation and concentrate
on a pure QML application, so I won't need any cross-compilation for a
while.

Thanks again for your help :)

Regards,

--
Andrea Grandi -  Software Engineer / Qt Ambassador
Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi