[Qt-creator] Planning Qt Creator 2.8 + 0.1

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Fri Jun 14 09:59:20 CEST 2013

On 14.06.2013, at 09:35, Thomas Meyer <public at meyer-thomas.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Am 13.06.2013 20:15, schrieb Jan Krause:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it would be great if QtC could be better used as a framework for
>> developing applications with different background (e.g. modeling,
>> engineering, verification, test generation, etc.); similiar to eclipse
>> but easier and much more beutiful ... :)
>>
>> I think the most is done. The plugins are clear and with some more
>> documentation it is very easy to implement own plugins. With the new
>> multi-monitor support, I think all features are available for using QtC
>> as an application framework building nice apps with a very good user
>> experience...
>>
>> But for this case some must-use-plugins (core, projectexplorer, welcome)
>> should be implemented with a more clearly defined functionality; e.g. I
>> don't need kits, compilers, etc. for my projects but I need the other
>> functions of the projectexplorer-plugin. There are some more similiar
>> issues, also within other plugins...I think, it is not much to do, but
>> maybe some plugin-redesign is necessary...Also, it is really an option,
>> that I'm totally wrong...
> True. I have disabled all plugins, so I have a "simple" but comfortable
> text editor.
> I have enabled the ProjectExplorer, to have the nice 'Sessions',
> 'Sessions Manager' and so on.
> But I don't need the disabled 'Build' and 'Debug' menu, the compile
> output at the bottom, on the
> left side the build and run icon, the 'Non-Qt Project' templates or the
> 'Build &Run' options .
> All what I want to do is, to put all the text files (or later image
> files) into a project (session).
> That would be perfect. :-)
> (for now ;-) )
>
> The only thing what I can do for now is, to change the
> 'Project-Explorer' plugin (I hope).

I agree that it doesn't make much sense to have the concept of "sessions" implemented in the project explorer.
That creates unnecessary dependencies also at other points, e.g. bookmarks are dependent on the project explorer because of that.
It would be better if sessions were a core concept and the project explorer would just be another "client" for that concept.

Br, Eike