[Qt-creator] Issues with Qt-Creator context sensitive help

Leandro T. C. Melo ltcmelo at gmail.com
Sat May 11 15:41:01 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM, fgf <fgf at gmx.net> wrote:

> 2. There seems to be no obvious way to filter context sensitive help
> (invoked with F1). As already mentioned, I have several different
> version of Qt installed and would like to see the help page related to
> the Qt version in the currently selected kit. Instead I am always
> presented with the help page related to one Qt version (the first in
> which the key word is found?). If such a truely context sensitive help
> is not possible, it should at least be possible to filter the context
> sensitive help manually, in a way similar to the method used in the help
> tab.

Hi,

assuming nothing has changed in recent times, I think this is not possible.
If I recall correctly, Creator will first generate a "key" for the C++/QML
element in question and query the documentation to check whether it's
indexed - there's no fine grained control over the versions.

I don't quite remember if that was a limitation somehow or just something
that wasn't implemented. Theoretically, one could retrieve the Qt version
in the current target and supply it as an argument to the help system.

In general I believe there's room for improvement in this area. In fact,
there's another "step" in which certain confusion appears which is after
the URL for the element is returned to the context assist engine. What it
does is a rudimentary text based search on the HTML to find the relevant
section. Although there are auxiliary tags embedded into the content,
needless to say this breaks sometimes (also the C++ code model doesn't
provide specific overload information for example). At some point there was
a discussion to ship together with the documentation a small, well
formatted brief for the functions, classes, etc. This might have gotten
lost.

Regards,
Leandro

--