[Qt-creator] Remote GDB debugging.

Tim Sander tim at krieglstein.org
Thu Jun 5 18:00:39 CEST 2014

Hi Tim
> I'm trying to do some remote GDB debugging of a program running on an ARM
> microcontroller.
Please see my example project:
https://gitorious.org/mbed-for-baremetal-qtcreator

And here is a talk about the BareMetal Plugin:
http://video.fosdem.org/2014/UB2252A_Lameere/Saturday/QtCreator_BareMetal_development.webm

> I've flashed the program to the chip (so it's already running) and then
> started the Segger GDB server, which is a GDB server that listens on a
> local port for connections.

> How do I tell Qt Creator to connect to that GDB server?
Well you really should activate the BareMetal-Plugin and setup a BareMetal-
Device for your setup. (Help->Plugins).

> I got as far as Debug->Start Debugging->Attached to remote debug server,
> however it wants me to specify an executable, working directory and so on
> and won't let me proceed without them. Shouldn't there be an option "[X]
> Program is already running" or something?
Well see above.

> I put in a random executable to run and it connected ok, however I'm not
> sure how to supply the debug information that is necessary for this to work.
The biggest drawback of BareMetal that cmake and make support is missing. Not
in BareMetal but due to the fact that the CMake and GenericProjectManager are
not using the default setup method.

The best approach is using qbs for building your application. See the linke
above how to write an apropriate qbs file.

> Any help appreciated - I don't want to have to resort to using Eclipse!
No you don't have to... i was also frightend by the context menus ;-).

Best regards
Tim