[Qt-creator] Building QtCreator 3.1.1 from the zip in QtProjects Downloads

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Wed May 21 08:02:19 CEST 2014

So, what was the actual error message? What was the kit used to build Qt Creator?
On what platform are you actually on? Insulting doesn't help. Qt Creator 3.1.1
sources should be buildable with Qt 5.3. That is completely independent from the Qt version
Qt Creator was built with (you can even build Qt Creator still with Qt4 and compile your
applications against Qt5 with it).

> Then after looking around I saw that QtCreator 3.1.1 is built with Qt
> 5.2.1!! (And I couldn't reuse my old plugin dll from 5.2.1, QtCreator
> said: failed dependency for plugin core 3.0.1.)

That doesn't have to do much with Qt versions either. The failed dependency is because
Qt Creator is not binary compatible between minor versions:
http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qtcreator-extending/coding-style.html#binary-and-source-compatibility
so you cannot use plugins compiled against Qt Creator 3.0 in 3.1.

> So, uninstall 5.3 and reinstall 5.2.1. Opened 3.1.1's qtcreator.pro
> again. Sure thing, half an hour later, I have a new QtCreator 3.1.1
> build. Built my plugin with 5.2.1. Uninstalled 5.2.1 and installed 5.3.
> Now I can work again :-)
>
> Reason I'm mailing, would it be possible to include a note of this fact
> somewhere on the Downloads page? Maybe we can save time for some other
> poor fellow trying to build 3.1.1 with Qt 5.3.
>
> Rgrds Henry
> Note: It was possible to build 3.1.1 with Qt 5.3 but that's another story.

I thought that was exactly what you tried to do.

Br, Eike