[Qt-creator] Building QtCreator 3.1.1 from the zip in QtProjects Downloads

Henry Skoglund fromqt at tungware.se
Wed May 21 09:59:19 CEST 2014

Hi,

first, sorry didn't mean to insult (it was late and maybe I had too much
coffee). Looking forward to use the new stuff in 5.3, like being able to
target XP more easily by adding -platform xp to my .pro files
( http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/42576 )

Anyway, what I did was download the QtCreator 3.1.1 source zip and tried
to build it in Release mode using MSVC2012 32-bit on my Win7 64-bit SP1
by opening qtctreator.pro in QtCreator 3.1.1/Qt 5.3.

After just a few minutes it stops with:
Error: dependent
'..\..\..\..\..\..\..\qt-creator-opensource-src-3.1.1\src\shared\qbs\src\lib\corelib\buildgraph\abstractcommandexecutor.cpp'
does not exist.

To get past this, open src/libs in the project tree, rightclick on
corelib and select Build "corelib". Then resume building qtcreator.pro.

Next error will be:
Error: dependent
'..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\qt-creator-opensource-src-3.1.1\src\shared\qbs\src\plugins\scanner\cpp\CPlusPlusForwardDeclarations.h'
does not exist.

And the cure is more or less the same, rightclick on "plugins" in
libs/src and select Build "plugins".

A few more of these cycles and you will have a QtCreator 3.1.1 built
with Qt 5.3. However because I want my plugin to fit in the existing
QtCtreator 3.1.1 that comes with 5.3 online installer, even though the
QtCtreator build is successful it's of no use because I need to build it
with Qt 5.2.1.

Note: I know since 5.1, I can build my plugin with MSVC 2012 even though
QtCtreator is built with MSVC 2010, that works. But as you say, the
plugins need to match the Qt version because of binary compatibility.

The only reason I was posting this was because in Qt 5.1, 5.2 and 5.2.1
I could download the qtcreator's source zip, open qtcreator.pro, hit
ctrl-shift-B and then I build my plugin and it would work just fine.
I.e. QtCreator could be built with the same new version of Qt that it
came bundled with. But this time around, things got complicated, First
that right-click hunting and pecking for a successful qtctreator.pro
build, then discovering it was all for naught and that I need to build
QtCreator 3.1.1 with Qt 5.2.1.

So I thought if it was mentioned on the Downloads page, then Qt needs to
be built with 5.2.1, it could save time for someone else :-)

Rgrds Henry
P.S. While writing this, QtCtreator 3.1.1 built without problems on my
MBP with Xcode 5.1.1/clang-64 and Qt 5.3. So perhaps those build errors
occurs only in Windows (haven't tried MinGW or Linux GCC yet).