[Qt-creator] The most most thing about creator

Ariel Molina ariel at edis.mx
Mon Feb 16 06:07:55 CET 2015

> I agree it's a bit frustrating at first, but once you understand it,
> then it's helpful. This is how i'm using it:
> - I don't type any quote, just some text, then i select the text that I
> want to quote (with maj/ctrl/arrows) and hit " only once.

This seems like a lot of keystrokes & even mouse clics more than 2 hits at
the quote key.

> - I start by hitting " once and then enter the text I want to be quoted.
>
> Then you save 1 keystroke when being expert, but make it lots of fixing
for the rest. A single keystroke saved does not seems to be worth it. Just
one time you forget and you end loosing lots of the so saved keystrokes.

> The only problem i have left is when i would like to replace some
> existing text with something quoted, i keep doing (by habit): select the
> text, and hit " instead of typing the replacement text first. So I end
> up with quoting the text i wanted to replace.

And all the saved keystrokes go wasted.

It's annoying no matter how you see it. It's just not worth it.

The magic braces is sometimes useful as it also indents itself. But
disabling magic quotes also disables magic braces. :(

> > On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com
> > <mailto:jhihn at gmx.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Is its unintelligent quotes handling. I wrestle with this in a daily
> >     basis.
> >
> >     I type something then"
> >     Creator gives me
> >     I type something then""
> >     I hit backspace then i get
> >     I type something then
> >     Which are now two wrong guesses in a row. in some cases i end up with
> >     I type something then""""
> >     Or even worse """
> >
> >     The quotes are dumber than no smart quotes.
> >
> >     Here is what I propose. Using the first example above either
> >     1) do nothing
> >     2) I type something "then"
> >     In 80% of my cases 2 is what i want, and the best thing is i never
> >     have to wrestle with deleting 2 consecutive quotes.
> >     Even better would be if it went farther back and quoted after the
> >     last space after previous punctuation
> >     QString("I type something then")
> >     X[message] = "I type something then"
> >     But not x=" or x= " (pos of prev" == pos of current quote
> >     (presence of space varies by context, not a big issue)
> >     Never should creator ever "smartly" put two quotes adjacent ""
> >     I'm not a fan of forward injection of code as it is something that i
> >     have to navigate around. But if you do want smart quotes then
> >     X= "" is fine provided that the cursor is positioned between the
> >     consecutive quotes.
> >     X= "|"
> >     X= "rabbit|"
> >     But do not ever delete both of "" as well as do nit provide the
> >     closing " in ""
> >
> >     Please.
> >     --
> >     Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
> >

> > --
> > Ariel Molina R.
> >
> > Oficina: +52 (222) 3723196
> > Movil: +521 2226 758874