[Qt-creator] Creator UI, MDI vs SDI, tabs, etc.

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 12:34:13 CEST 2015

Hi,

I've been wondering about Creator's UI, and some aspects of it that have kept me from using Creator.
I know MDI IDE designs are all the rage, I just cannot understand their appeal on set-ups with (often multiple) large screens. With those, I always end up either with a smaller-than-you'd-want window size (in which lots of UI elements take up way too much space on OS X), or a window that obscures a too large portion of your screen.

I find it much more efficient to be able to open at least certain source files in separate windows, which can then be sized and laid out over my screen(s) exactly as required. For that reason alone, Xcode 3.x (RIP) is still my all-time favourite IDE ...

Most if not all IDEs that adopt this design at least provide a tabbed interface in which you can see which documents you have open.

Have I missed a possibility in Creator to 1) show a tab bar and/or 2) open document editors in separate windows (using the internal editor component of course)?
The current Xcode and latest MSVC versions I used both have a way of opening documents in separate windows; would it be hard to implement this in Creator if that has not already been done?

Similarly, would it require patches in many distinct locations to use something other than the system font at the presumed default size (Lucida Grande 13pt or even 14pt on OS X) for elements like the side-bar, message/output/... panels and bottom button bar? I say presumed because that OS X itself uses size almost only for the toplevel menu.

René